Hummingbirds and Elephant Ears

Early this summer I bought two hummingbird feeders. I mixed up the sugar water, filled the feeders and waited. I put fresh sugar water in them weekly and waited…and waited…and waited. No hummingbirds found my feeders. Perhaps I had too many flowers in my yard.

 

Yesterday I saw a hummer visiting the bee balm. So I mixed up a new batch of nectar and moved the pole. I am hoping for visitors.

Those large elephant ear plants behind the feeder now have big enough leaves that I am having a rolling leaf casting workshop. When I made them last year several people said they’d like to learn how to do it. I have everything set up in the driveway, but one person at a time is all I can handle. This is my friend, Diane, who made two castings last week.

Here are her finished castings. I don’t know if she’ll want to paint them. That will be another project. You can see that one has a hole in it where the stem of the leaf was. She wants that one for a birdbath, so I will plug the hole with cement tomorrow morning when I have another friend coming.

It’s fun to do projects with friends on these cool mornings. That leaves the afternoon for working on my novel. The castings have to stay on the table for a day before they can lifted off the sand support. The sand can then be reshaped for my next student. And while we are working, I can keep my eyes open for visiting hummers.