Here are six photos from my garden this morning. We had some much needed rain on Wednesday this week, but the gardens are still dry. If this trend continues I will need to rethink what I plant in my garden beds.
- The Naked Lady lilies that I despaired about last week have sprouted up like magic and are blooming. The second photo shows more stalks that are just coming up.
2. Tall helenium are blooming in the midst of a bed of yellow rudbeckia.
3. The butterfly milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) seed pods are like a candelabra and are beginning to open. They are self-seeding in my poor soil so I will have many more pollinator attracting plants next year.
4. At long last a baby eggplant. Everyone else I know has been harvesting for weeks. I have two plants and they are not producing this year. Unlike last year when I had a bumper crop off two plants.
5. Verbena among the rudbeckia.
6. I saw two black swallowtail cattapillars on the fennel this morning. Last year there were more.
That’s my six for this week as we head toward fall. The meme was started by The Propogator, a UK gardener. I learn something every week from the participating gardeners. This is the link to the rules if you’d like to join in.