On this shortest day of the year we have winter temperatures. Ours are moderate compared to many places in the United States, but 26 degrees Fahrenheit means the ground was crunchy underfoot when I went outside this morning to see what I could find in the garden.
- Before I headed outside I pulled my chicken stock bag out of the freezer and put a pot to boil on the stove. By the time I came in the house was fragrant. My mother taught me to put a little apple cider vinegar in the pot when making stock. She said it pulled the calcium out of the bones. I have no idea if that is true and suspect cider vinegar was a replacement for white wine in the stock pot of a cook who grew up on an Iowa farm.
2. Last weekend I was in Tennessee with Laura Ambler attending opening night of our play, The Santa Diaries, at Encore Theatre Company in Mt. Juliet. This photo is us (in the middle) with the cast. This small community theater did us proud. A memorable production.
3. The window boxes are full of greens from my property. Not as full as in years past when I had bags of greens left over from a wreath workshop at the St. Michaels Woman’s Club, but it will do. The box of red ribbons is still on the shelf in the garage. I have a few days to get them in place.
4. My husband has refilled the woodpile on the deck and the level behind the shed is falling. We will have enough to get us to spring and then he will restock for 2020.
5. A camellia is full of buds as is a rhododendron. I doubt that purple rhodo bud will make it through to spring.
6. I rooted around in the hellebore bed but found no buds. However, at the roots of one of my old maples I found a moss garden. I think the fairies are tucked under those cozy green blankets and will emerge in the spring.
That’s my Six-on-Saturday on the Winter Solstice in the mid-Atlantic region of the United States. The meme was started by The Propogator, a UK gardener. This is the link to the rules if you’d like to join in.
As we head toward Christmas, may your days be merry and bright. Happy Holidays to one and all!
#lovemygarden #mid-atlantic garden #Six-on-Saturday #malaburt