We had a light frost last night. The coleus in the front window boxes need to be pulled out. I’ll stick evergreen trimmings in the soil for the winter. As I walked around the garden this morning I was surprised to see some confused plants.
- But first I want to showcase a gift my friend, Carol M, brought me yesterday. A spray of sorghum heads with a turkey. I put it on the lattice in the back so I could see it from the house, although I may move it to one of the older, weathered lattices where there will be more contrast. I’ll still be able to see it in that location. I had no idea sorghum heads had so many colors.
2. On to a couple of confused plants. An azalea (not one of the fall re-bloomers) has put out a couple of flowers. The leaves show an infestation of azalea lace bug. I’ll have to go on line to see if I can treat the plant now or need to wait till spring. This particular pest is epidemic in my azaleas.
3. A bud on a clematis will not survive a hard freeze. And I’m hoping to bring that pretty white geranium in for the winter. I think there are a couple of plants in that big pot so I’ll need to repot one into a container I can lift.
4. Frozen water in the Jan Kirsch avocado is stunning with fallen leaves. Wrapping the concrete sculpture for the winter has moved to the top of the to-do list.
5. The petals have fallen from the Sheffield mums, but the remaining centers are bright yellow, providing a needed pop of color in the fall garden. The Autumn Joy sedum heads continue to darken into tones of burgundy.
6. I need to brag a little about the large area where the raised beds were removed. I seeded, and watered and watered and watered and hoped. Fingers crossed for it being really settled in next spring.
An update on my writing life. The third book in my Caribbean romance trilogy is back from the proofer. Now I am working on finalizing titles and choosing a cover concept. Publication sometime next spring.
That’s my Six on Saturday, this week photos of my garden. The meme was started by The Propogator, a UK gardener. This is the link to the rules if you’d like to join in.